Washer Drain Pipe Too Small

Old 02-10-05, 01:25 PM
ERTheHandyman
Visiting Guest
Question Washer Drain Pipe Too Small

A friend of mine has a washer in his basement, but the pipes are too small (old house) to allow the waste water to drain fast enough. As a result the water overflows the air channel pipe and spills onto the floor. Not a big deal for him since he has a drain in the floor that catches it, but he's trying to sell the place and people don't seem to care for it. It's an old house with the old cast iron pipes. The pipes go into the cement floor so no room there. My thought is to add an expansion tank or a larger pipe. Any ideas?

Last edited by ERTheHandyman; 02-16-05 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Font change
Old 02-10-05, 01:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
why not run the washer drain hose into a slop sink.thats how im going to be doing my new laundry room..actually my old laundry room has 2 washers draining into a 2 inch pipe in the wall and i never have a problem...but if you have 1 1/2 pipe the slop sink could be the answer....also have your friend snake out his drain maybe there is a blockage ....good luck

Old 02-10-05, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ERthehandyman, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If the floor drain isn't too far away, why not run 2" pipe over to it? Thats what a lot of people do. Cheaper than trying to change old pipe. Just put a 4' standpipe behind the washer and strap it to the wall.

Old 02-11-05, 09:31 AM
ERTheHandyman
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I told my friend, so we'll see what his wfie wants to do. lol. any other thoughts though are still welcome. I'm always looking for suggestions.

Old 02-23-05, 03:48 AM
Smarr
Visiting Guest
Washer Drain Pipe Too Small

[QUOTE=lovmy4x4]why not run the washer drain hose into a slop sink.

I'm concerned that I may be faced with a similar problem when we move into a house we are buying in March. I plan to relocate the washer to the garage. The garage has a large utility sink and I had planned on removing it and using the existing plumbing to supply and drain the washer. I believe the drain to the sink is smaller than the 2" typically used for a washer drain. Could a washer drain be ran into this large utility sink?

Old 02-23-05, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smarr,
Running the washer into a utility sink is actually better than having a drain pipe behind it. Go to the local Dollar Store and get some cheap knee-high nylon stockings. Tie one on the end of the discharge hose and change it when it gets full. You will be amazed how much lint you would normally put into the drain system of your home. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: