PVC Sewer pipe in basment leaking

Old 02-11-05, 07:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC Sewer pipe in basment leaking

My wife and I went away last wknd for a few days. The day after we came back and started using the showers/toilets/washer we noticed that the main sewer drain for the entire house was leaking slowly around the sleeve of the PVC pipe. Basically it is a stretch of pipe about 20" in length that connects to the larger PVC pipe that exits the foundation and goes to the septic tank. When I ran the shower I could see water coming out slowly around the sleeve of the 20" pipe. The funny thing was by the next day it wasn't leaking anymore. At first I thought the septic was backing up, but the leaky water doesn't smell and toilets/sinks/showers all drain fine. I'm thinking that the sealent they used around the sleeve is old and needs replacing. The house was built in 1989. Should I call a plumber on this or could I do it myself?

Old 02-11-05, 07:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To repair a leak where you are talking about is complicated. Fittings would have to be removed, pipe cut and couplings installed to reinstall new pipe. I would clean and COMPLETLY dry (blow dryers are nice for this) the area where it leaks and rough it up a bit with sandpaper. Run around the whole pipe (leaking) area with a bead of silicone.
PVC is not repairable, only replaceable. This is my opinion on how to fix the leak for a whole lot less money than what it would cost to have it done. Since it is a drain, there is not a lot of pressure on it so this should work fine. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: