Bathtub Spigot Pipe Rusted to the Elbow

Old 02-21-05, 04:10 PM
NewbieHandyman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Bathtub Spigot Pipe Rusted to the Elbow

Hi there!

I have a bathtub spigot pipe that broke in my hands as I tried to replace a leaky bathtub spout. The pipe has been rusted all the way to the elbow which is inside the wall. I went into the access panel and saw that the from the elbow the pipe goes up to what looks like a copper 4 way fitting branching to a shower and the hot and cold pipes. I was wondering what I should do in order to get this out. I tried using an ez out and an internal pipe wrench but have hand no success. The next step I was thinking was cut the pipe that attaches to the elbow with a reciprocating saw, pull the rusted pipe out of the backside and unscrew the top half of the pipe. I was also thinking of replacing this all the way to the 4 way junction with copper.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I have attached pictures of the nasty task.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 06:19 PM
brandenhs
Visiting Guest
Talking

"The next step I was thinking was cut the pipe that attaches to the elbow with a reciprocating saw, pull the rusted pipe out of the backside and unscrew the top half of the pipe. I was also thinking of replacing this all the way to the 4 way junction with copper"

this would be your best bet the 4 way tee your talking about is your tub/shower valve that it were the water comes and goes but anyway if you know how to solder your best bet is to remove the galv. pipe all the way back to the valve but be shure to use 2 (two) wrenches one to back up the valve and one tyo unscrew the nipple and replace with proper copper fittings & pipe

Old 04-11-05, 01:07 PM
NewbieHandyman
Visiting Guest
Thank you!!

I ended up cutting out the pipe with the reciprocating saw and took out both ends of the pipe. The top half was removed by holding the cross intersection pipe in place by vice grips and another pair to remove the sawed pipe. The bottom half came out fairly easy. I used a 5" nipple galvanized pipe combined with a 1/2" brass elbow and a 6" nipple galv. pipe to go out to the bathtub spout. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a nipple pipe out there with reverse threads for one side of the pipe?

The hardest part was putting the new pipe in in that the elbow was fairly close to the wall. I had to chisel out a little bit of the drywall in order to put it in, but once it was in everything was set.

Thank you again!

Newbiehandyman