Types of copper supply lines

Old 02-22-05, 09:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Types of copper supply lines

Which copper supply lines are best? At HD I see types M and also something called rigid, which is Type L I think? Which is best? I do not mind paying a bit more for higher quality. This installation is part of a new basement with full bath.

thanks

Old 02-22-05, 01:44 PM
G
gtsayers

The three types of rigid copper are Type M, Type L and Type K. The Type referrs to the thickness with M being the thinnest. Flexible copper comes in Type L and K. Type K is the type used for underground service. All can be soldered, or you can use compression fittings on flexible copper and on Type M rigid. You cannot flare rigid but you can both types of flexible. I guess it's up to you if you want to sweat the joints in, or use compression and use a couple of wrenches. Hope this helps.

George

Old 02-22-05, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Codes vary on what can be used for each application. I PERSONALLY use type "L" for any plumbing I do that is not underground. Good luck.

Old 02-22-05, 01:54 PM
S
I'll be sweating the fittings mostly, so I guess it does not matter much. Thanks for the insight. Had not thought about that. The only compression fittings are likely to be at the fixtures. So, I guess it is not a quality issue, merely an application issue.

I also came across this link:

http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-cu.htm

good info here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: