Mystery Drip

Old 02-24-05, 01:07 PM
marlajog
Visiting Guest
Question Mystery Drip

I have a one and a half story home. One of the bathrooms on the main level has a dripping sound that sounds like it is coming from above. In five years, this dripping sound has not shown any sign of water leakage. No stain, or puddle, or water, or buckled drywall. It is driving me nuts, and now my house is up for sale so I have to fix it. Could it be dripping inside of a pipe? Where do I start to find the origin. Could it be a rattle in a plumbing vent or something? HELP!!!

Last edited by marlajog; 02-25-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 12:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermal Expansion of the piping (drain lines)

Probably more evident when hot water is ran.

Nothing to worry about. Would be difficult to correct this problem (opening of walls)

Old 02-28-05, 07:27 PM
I
I have the same exact problem. I spent most of the day today. I have had this problem ever since I owned the house (about 2 and half years). No signs of wetness in the wallboard or any where.

In order to osolate the problem, first I let the sink fill-up with water by shutting down the drain. There is no noise. Then I opened the drain and the water in the sink drain. Then I the dripping noise appeared. This tells me that the noise is coming from drain pipes (PVC). Does the "thermal expansion" theory apply to PVC pipes? Please help! This is driving me nuts. I am wondering if the dripping water is going some where and getting dried up and leaving a mess some where. But then again, like I said, I have had this problem for at least 2 and half years. So, this makes me think that there is no problem. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 02-28-05, 07:35 PM
PVC is the culprit.......it contracts and expands with hot water the most.

Somewhere in the wall the PVC piping is against wood or a support and that is what is causing the ticking sounds that resemble water drips.

Only way to correct the problem is to open the wall and remove the tight spots where the piping is rubbing against.

Old 03-01-05, 05:21 PM
I
THANK YOU DUNBAR PLUMBER!!! Knowing that it is not a leak, I can relax now. The noise doesn't really bother me. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: