Trying to Snake drain with trouble...

Old 02-25-05, 06:16 AM
crazy_cat_lady
Visiting Guest
Question Trying to Snake drain with trouble...

I bought a 25 foot snake to unclog a very S-L-O-W draining tub drain. When I insert the snake, the end of the snake keeps traveling up the overflow pipe instead of going into the drain. I was hoping to find a diagram of bathtub plumbing online but was unsuccessful. Which way should I be pushing the snake? Or does it depend? I can't seem to get it to go anywhere but up that overflow pipe. Ugh!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Andrea

Old 02-25-05, 06:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
crazy_ cat_ lady, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
What you may have to do is remove the two screws that hold the drain lever and remove it. Then snake through that hole.
Another route you may want to take since this is a slow drain, is a drain cleaner called Drain Care. It is an enzyme cleaner that sticks to clogs and "eats" them. Unlike caustic cleaners that flow past the clog. It is safe for septic systems. It is about $8 and takes overnight but it does work. One jug gives many treatments in case you need more than one. Good luck.

Old 02-25-05, 08:55 AM
crazy_cat_lady
Visiting Guest
I'm going to try going down that overflow pipe. I already tried Draino and that didn't work at all. I suppose as a last resort I'll look for that enzyme cleaner you recommended. Thanks for replying!

-Andrea

P.S. I love your quote! It's one I used to use quite often!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: