sewage ejector cost basement?

Old 03-01-05, 12:15 PM
bradad4
Visiting Guest
sewage ejector cost basement?

I am interested in having a sewage ejector installed in my basement.I recieved 2 estimates range from $2500 to $3000 does anyone know if these are fair prices . Also I am suppling the fixtures, the pump cost $500 the plumber will purchase this and it will be installed below concrete pad.Of course there is some labor in removing the concrete and piping conections however should it cost this much?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi bradad4,
- Is it a fair price ? -difficult to say without eyeballing your EXACT situation.
However, I have done 3 of these so far, and never even got close to those quoted prices. It's usually not difficult to jackhammer a hole in the basement floor and install a ready-made septic pumping pit. These come as a unit with tub and sealed lid. (usually heavy black plastic, about the size of a garbage can, 18x36 or so. ) these cost less than $50. This is fitted with the lid flush with floor. The piping is done from toilet and sink directly to the pit.
Inside the tub you fit a regular small sewage pump. I prefer a Hydromatic that retails about 300, and has it's own float switch, and 20' cord with 'piggyback' connector. If you install the float correctly it will pump out about every 4 toilet flushes. The pump connects to 2" pipe that goes directly throught a ready made hole in the lid, to your nearest main drain. ( insert a check valve and union somewhere above the pit.)
Total material cost of all this is around $5-600. Plus about 3-4 hrs to fit tub and 3-4 hours to fit pump and plumbing

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 03-02-05, 01:12 PM
Robert_W
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by nomind
Hi bradad4,
- Is it a fair price ? -difficult to say without eyeballing your EXACT situation.
However, I have done 3 of these so far, and never even got close to those quoted prices. It's usually not difficult to jackhammer a hole in the basement floor and install a ready-made septic pumping pit. These come as a unit with tub and sealed lid. (usually heavy black plastic, about the size of a garbage can, 18x36 or so. ) these cost less than $50. This is fitted with the lid flush with floor. The piping is done from toilet and sink directly to the pit.
Inside the tub you fit a regular small sewage pump. I prefer a Hydromatic that retails about 300, and has it's own float switch, and 20' cord with 'piggyback' connector. If you install the float correctly it will pump out about every 4 toilet flushes. The pump connects to 2" pipe that goes directly throught a ready made hole in the lid, to your nearest main drain. ( insert a check valve and union somewhere above the pit.)
Total material cost of all this is around $5-600. Plus about 3-4 hrs to fit tub and 3-4 hours to fit pump and plumbing

Do it Right - Do it once.
I'm just wondering, my problem may be related to a vent stack connected to my sump, and you didn't mention venting it. Do these installations not typically require a vent? (Sorry for the hi-jack, I'm desperate to solve my problem)

Old 03-02-05, 02:23 PM
bradad4
Visiting Guest
Talking Thanks for advice

thanks for advice that clears things up as far as whats involved in the process.thanks for sending quote

Old 03-02-05, 08:39 PM
Yes...to the venting.

Old 03-03-05, 09:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The vent pipe should be I believe 2X or 3X the size of the discharge. I don't know about the whole idea of sewage ejectors in a basement....

Done a couple of them but always wondered about the cess pool under the house...

Old 03-04-05, 06:19 AM
Local codes will tell what size the vent pipe should be. They DO need venting. It may be a smaller pipe size since it is venting only the injector. Good luck.