I Done a BAD Thing

Old 03-02-05, 01:41 PM
CKELLY
Visiting Guest
I Done a BAD Thing

Hello everyone,

I broke a T-fitting on an iron waste pipe. This picture should help:

http://home.earthlink.net/~chriskellydesign/broke.gif

The chrome sink pipe had been rigged and finagled into the iron T. Shortly after removing the sink for remodeling, some lummox (me) leaned on the horizontal chrome pipe and snapped off part of the T-fitting. The piping is very old (a little brittle too) and currently runs down through a concrete slab (on grade), and then through a brick wall into the crawlspace/main sewer. Any suggestions for repairing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will have to cut out the tee and get a short piece of pipe to install in each end of a PVC tee. Use No-Hub (mission fitting) adapters to connect the new piece into the line. One at the top and one at the bottom and then glue a new piece in where it exits the wall. No-Hub are rubber adapters with stainless steel clamps. You should be able to get them at Home centers or Plumbing supply stores. Good luck.

Old 03-03-05, 09:33 AM
CKELLY
Visiting Guest
Thanks Drag,

I forgot to mention that this pipe was not run inside the wall (old house, lathe on brick), so I was hoping the repair would not be too visually disturbing. I guess to keep the iron, I would have to re-pipe from the hub above the T, down into the crawlspace. Then maybe a no-hub down there. Yes? Other options?

Old 03-03-05, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair plumbing isn't always pretty when you are dealing with old stuff. Looks like your idea is the best one. You can always paint the coupling to ease the looks of the stainless steel bands. Good luck.