Costs for new bathroom plumbing

Old 03-03-05, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Costs for new bathroom plumbing

Hello, I am thinking of buying an old home but wanted some information about plumbing costs before purchasing.

How much would it cost to put plumbing for a new bathroom on the 2nd floor(I know its impossible to know without looking but ballpark).

Where would the pipes connect - ie would you have to tear up the ceiling of the first floor?

Any other cheaper alternatives?

Would it be easier if the room already has been changed to a a kitchen with a sink and thus water (but not sewer/tub pipes)?

Thanks and sorry for my lack of education on the matter.

Cary Sauer

More info if needed: The home is 100+ years old, with first floor bath, kitch, 2 rooms. 2nd floor has 3BR, a second kitchen (used as rental), and a full bathroom. There is a third floor with a bathroom as well (poorly finished). I wanted to change either the kitchen (if its easier since it already has water for a sink but no sewer) or one of the bedrooms into a large bathroom. I just wanted to get a balpark if possibke, I understand its impossible to really tell but are we talking 3000 to run a line to the area and ripping up the ceiling on the 1st floor or are we talking like 6000+. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 03:13 PM
i would suggest getting a plummer to look at the house with you. i did. it is pretty impossible to even ballpark a job like that with the info given. i just bought a house part of which is on a slab. i am adding a bathroom to that area. one quote i got was over $4,500 dollars and that was only breaking about ten feet of concrete and connecting to an existing vent and drain. that was only adding a tub (there was a half bath already).

the most difficult part of that job will be the drain and vent. if there is a stack vent close by, you will be much better off. i have never done plumbing on a multiple story house so i can't really give an answer.

Old 03-03-05, 07:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are several things to think about when deciding whether or not to add a bathroom to a storey. The first is headspace. When you add a bathroom to an upper floor you almost always have to eat up headspace/ceiling space of the floor below to allow for pipe runs. Eg, if you go into just about any basement you will see that the toilet drain almost always runs below the floor joists. When installing pipes you cannot cut these joists so you are forced to run below them or add a subfloor of at least 8"(very inpractical) to the room you want as a bathroom. So whereever you decide to put a bathroom, expect for the ceiling below to be torn up and be left with pipes occupying about 6 inches worth of space. Most ceiling heights are 8', so your new ceiling height would be 7'6". Make sense?

Another thing to concider and it is very important is that when you add a tub to a second storey you have to allow for the weight of the bathtub filled with water. Most second storeys without plumbing are built with a standard load associated with them, but when you add a tub which can weigh as much as 300+ lbs plus the weight of the person in the tub you are left with a joist system that is unable to sustain such weights.

In most cases it is not practical to add bathrooms to second stories without a major amount of work being done. The basement on the other hand takes less work and the finished product has much more value for your dollar(you have a second bathroom for relatively cheap price).

Mucho money to do it right.