No hot water pressure

Old 03-03-05, 03:37 PM
msx
Visiting Guest
No hot water pressure

My husband and his uncle decided to put in a new shower head. We have an older home and when they installed the new shower head they turned off the water. Once it was installed there is no more hot water pressure coming to the 1st floor shower and the kitchen sink and the bath tub on the 2nd floor. However, there is hot water pressure at the 1st floor bathroom and the sink on the 2nd floor. Does anyone know what could be the problem and how to resolve the problem? Would I need to get a plumber out to solve this situation or can I fix it myself? (The cold water pressure is fine.. it's just the hot). Prior to them installing the new shower head, the hot water pressure was fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I would recommend getting a plumber in, just because...well, you don't need to shut the main water off to change a shower head, just don't turn the shower valve on...

And usually it is a one person job....

Old 03-04-05, 04:36 AM
msx, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
It sounds like you have galvanized water lines. When the water was shut off, flakes of rust broke off the inside of the pipe and are now clogging things up.
Try shutting off the water valve at the kitchen sink. Disconnect the supply line going up to the faucet at the valve. Hold a rag over the valve and turn the water on and off 2 or 3 times. This should clear any debris from the supply line. Then unscrew the aerator off of the end of the sink spout. Turn on the water and see if the pressure improves. Rinse out the aerator, reinstall and you should be good to go. You will have to do this at all affected fixtures. Try the aerators first, it may save time. Good luck.

Old 03-07-05, 05:18 PM
msx
Visiting Guest
no hot water pressure

loveboatcaptain-

not everyone is as good as you so of course for a first timer he will need someone to help him out. You talk as if you had never needed help before

Majakdragon-

We've tried that already and still no water pressure. Do you think it could be the pipes or the water heater? The water heater is probably about 7 or 8 years old only... but someone told me that when they installed it they may have installed it incorrectly something w/ the pipes inside the water heater. What do you recommend next?

Old 03-08-05, 04:18 AM
The only pipe inside the water heater is the diptube and that would only make the water colder faster. Since not all the faucets are affected, I have to think the piping to the fixtures with no pressure have scale blocking them. It may be time to call the plumber as I know of no way to clear the lines that would be permanent.

Old 03-15-05, 05:35 AM
msx
Visiting Guest
I think I will have to call a plumber then. Thanks majakdragon