New Fittings?

Old 03-04-05, 04:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New Fittings?

HI all, today I was looking at some new copper fittings at the home center. They already have the solder applied, so the consumer just has to clean the old pipe , flux and apply the new fitting and heat. I was wandering if these are really new and has anyone used them yet or I am just way behind the times thinking they are new. Thanks in advance.
-Bob

Old 03-04-05, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are not behind the times. This is one of the newer "better mousetraps" to hit the market. I have not seen them so I have to wonder about the difference inprice between them and the stock fittings. If you overheat them, you need solder to fix it. You don't really know if you heated them enough. Too many variables for me.
Years ago I saw a tool that you inserted in the end of copper tubing and it made a cup, then you put a "solder ring" into the cup and soldered it. Seemed like a good idea except the tool streched the copper and made it thin and the ring of solder didn't always melt all the way.
Guess I'll stick with tradition and do it the "old fashion way".

Old 03-04-05, 08:48 PM
Home Depot gave me a 100 of these fittings to use. 2 sample boxes with 50 fittings in each which equates to 50 1/2" couplings and 50 1/2" tees.

These are considerably higher priced, but apparently they are selling due to curiousity. They instruct not using a turn brush on the fittings themselves to keep the solder from falling out before use.

It is supposed to simplify working with copper by one step, but what is obvious is that anyone dealing with water in the pipes will still need the roll of solder close by.

And those who have a tendency to overheat the solder joints.

I vow to stick with what works best for me and that is the regular copper fittings.

If you choose to use them that is fine. Just make sure you try not to go without a small roll solder in case you feel that the connections do not have enough solder in them.

I have always found that street fittings always required a larger amount of solder to make the joint durable.

Old 03-05-05, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys...today I purchased a 3/4 90o fitting with the solder. I overheated it and had to apply more solder. It was 93 cents compared to 29 cents for the usual fittings I buy. I'll stick with the older ones.
-Bob

Old 03-05-05, 08:56 PM
K
Unless there is extra solder provided to run into the joint, it'll make a weaker joint (not full). Even so, the strongest solder joint is between two gently snug pieces, not loose ones as this product would reveal if you stripped the solder away.

I guess the company is saving money by employing a cheap method of manufacture that yields relatively sloppy tolerance, then covering that by pre-tinning. I hope to check these with dial calipers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: