Needs advice on fittings?

Old 03-06-05, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Needs advice on fittings?

Greetings, could somebody please give me an explanation on the difference between a watts check valve and a watts backflow preventer? I know the price is one difference but do they perform the same function? The application I am referring this question to has to do with the installation of the device upstream of the auto-fill valve on my boiler. Thanks in advance.
-Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 01:18 PM
A check valve is just that, a check valve.

A backflow preventor that you mentioned is different in that it is a testable device that protects a water supply. A single check valve is not made for that purpose. A double check valve assembly, however, is testable to confirm both checks can and do shut.

Any backflow device has to be installed, on the most part, by a certified backflow technician. They do need to be tested and certified by a qualified backflow technician.

Hope this clears up the question in your mind. More questions, ask away and someone will answer them.

Old 03-06-05, 02:16 PM
thanks notuboo....is the fact that the backflow preventer has the atmospheric port the main difference....the reason for my question is this: my tech installed a new auto-feed valve because he said that the quickfill flip top was worn out. He came to bleed the system. With the original watts auto-fill valve I had myself installed a double check valve about 8" upstream of the autofill valve. He took that also. I felt like a bit dissatisfied consumer when I got home from work. All this started because my wife called me at work and told me that the water was "swooshing" thru the pipes an awful lot. I told her that they needed to be bled. I never thot she would call in a tech to do that. As a result these parts were change out and the old parts were taken away and now you know the "rest of the story". Was I taken?
Thanks.

Old 03-06-05, 02:24 PM
I would have insisted that he give me back the parts he took. No way to tell now if he replaced parts that were in actuality good parts. Even if they were bad they have scrap value as they are brass. I like to see what was or needs to be repaired or replaced.

Good luck