Cutting Castiron sewer pipe

Old 03-14-05, 09:01 AM
Adamls
Visiting Guest
Cutting Castiron sewer pipe

Ok I am ready to install my washer drain but first I must make one cut on the cast iron 4" sewer pipe to install the abs fitting. Instead of renting a chain style cutter for this one cut can I just use my blade made for cutting metal/concrete on my circular saw? My concern is not whether it will cut it but with the sparks that will be generated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will definatly have a lot of sparks. My concern would be where the line is located. If you have to cut overhead it could be quite dangerous. If the saw ties up and kicks back you could get hurt badly. Being a 4" line you would have to cut "around" it whick would make it harder. A Sawz-all (reciprocating saw) would be the better choice. Maybe a friend has one. Good luck.

Old 03-14-05, 09:27 AM
Adamls
Visiting Guest
It's only about chest high with lots of room on all sides. I do have a reciprocating saw I went to get a good blade for it but they were 24.00 that when I thought about using my other saw since I already have a blade for it. Maybe set it to just cut most of the way through and they use a cold chisel to finish it off with or should I just quite being cheap and buy the reciprocating saw blade ?

Old 03-14-05, 09:34 AM
Not sure where you priced your blades. I can get a set of 3 blades from Sears for less than $15. One metal 6 or 8" blade should be a lot less than $24.

Old 03-14-05, 11:46 AM
Adamls
Visiting Guest
It was Lumbermans, they were some sort of carbon blades supposely made to cut the cast iron.

Old 03-14-05, 11:53 AM
Any type of metal cutting blade will work.

Old 03-14-05, 11:59 AM
Adamls
Visiting Guest
Ok thanks, I will go back and check on reg. metal blades.

Old 03-14-05, 01:12 PM
Wink

I have taken just hacksaw blades and make 3 out of one put it in a sawzall and cut the speed down with a power choke on the saw to slow. Have cut cast and SS steel that way.

ED

Old 03-14-05, 08:02 PM
I use my 4 1/2 grinder with either a metal or diamond blade tocut cast iron when I can't get the snap cutterson there. It works quickly and is safer.

Old 03-15-05, 06:22 AM
stefanov
Visiting Guest
Cuting Cast Iron Pipe

My experience shows that the best way to cut it is by using a chain pipe cutter. You can rent it from the local rent place if you do not own one. You will find the experience of cutting with this tool quite painless. Good luck.