natural gas line extension


Old 03-14-05, 11:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
natural gas line extension

I have about a 70 foot extension of the gas line that comes thru my brick wall and is capped behind the fireplace to a new outbuilding garage I am building. It will not be used until sometime in the future. Questions:
1. Can I run a pvc pipe to snake a flexible type gas piping to the buildng later? What diameter should it be? The line from the back of the fireplace is about 1 inch steel capped pipe.
2. Can I buy the pipe and trench it in from the cap to the garage? If so, what type of pipe can I direct bury or run thru conduit?
3. Can I connect it or do I HAVE to call a plumber for this? I prefer not to.

BTW, I do this kind of thing all the time, it is just a pipe, natural gas or not.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 11:24 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,827
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cardmarc, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Lots of your question(s) depend on code in your area. Some areas require a licenced gasfitter to do the work. Another consideration is your insurance company. If there is a problem later, they may refuse to pay if the work had no permits or was done incorrectly.
They make plastic gas line. You can also run steel pipe. You will also have to know what size pipe for whatever you are going to use the gas service for. Different volume for different uses.
If you use a flexible gas line and run a sleeve to run it through, you will probably have to go at least 2 sizes bigger for the sleeve than what the gas line is.
Lots of code issues with gas. Not the same as any other pipe. This includes the pipe dope you use for connections. Good luck.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: