Is 60psi at your pressure tank too much?

Old 03-14-05, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is 60psi at your pressure tank too much?

1.) I have a normal bi-level home about 2 years old, and I have my pressure tank under my stairs. It was set at 50psi, but I bumped it up to 60psi... just wondering is 60psi a normal pressure setting for a house with a well? or am I damaging the system or taking the chance that pipe joints could bust apart due to high pressure?

2.) On my piping which is PEX piping, where the piping connects to say a metal right angle joint for instance, it looks like the gray outside part of the piping is stripped away a bit before the metal clamp that was put on the end of the PEX pipe. Is this gray part of the PEX piping just a coating? I am afraid the pipe is pulling OUT of the metal connector at the end and afraid water might just start spraying everywhere if this happens since it's on my mail cold water line?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 12:34 PM
Wink

Id check that fitting for sure. I always had 20 40 psi on the pump but if you need it Id go to 30 50psi that should be enoug.

ED

Old 03-14-05, 12:38 PM
30 50psi?

what is the 30 for?

maybe I should set it back to 50 psi where it was?

what is the best way to change the pressure at the tank? do you have to run water to let pressure out of the tank then change it?

Old 03-14-05, 12:52 PM
Wink

Any of the new pressure switch will come set at 20 on and 40 off you can set Yours to 30 on and 50 off most pumps are set for 20lb different for on to off.
Yes water has to like go out so you will see what pressure it turns on at. Then turn water off and see what Psi it turns off at.
ED

Old 03-14-05, 01:09 PM
okay but is 60psi damaging to pipes or pipe fittings or anything? I don't get why you wouldn't want the highest pressure your system can handle in your house.. usually higher pressure water equals faster showers, easier cleaning, further hose range, etc..

My pressure tank says it was rated at up to 125psi but I don't know if anybdoy every goes that high with pressure?

does a higher pressure rating make your well pump work harder or something?

Old 03-14-05, 04:28 PM
Wink

It will cost you more in electric and yes it is harder on the pump 30 on and 50 off should be more than enough pressure for you.

ED

Old 03-14-05, 07:15 PM
I just talked to my well guy that drills wells and puts the pressure tanks in, he says that now most all the newer pressure switches are set at 40 off and 60 on by default. He said that in the 1980's it was like 20 - 40, then the 1990's it was like 30 - 50, now in the 2000's it like 40 - 60. He said the reason for this is many people moving to the country from the city are used to have 70-80psi pressure and they want high pressure in their new homes with wells also. He said all the piping in the house is rated for AT LEAST 125psi so he said NO fittings or piping should ever bust because of pressure issues. I asked this because I was concerned that going from 50psi to 60psi might bust apart some of the pipe fittings or right angle joints or something... he said I will be just fine...

btw, my house is only 2 years old..