Reddish Brown Water From Kitchen Sink

Old 03-15-05, 05:34 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reddish Brown Water From Kitchen Sink

It's been 3 weeks since completing the replacement of all my homes galvanized pipes with copper pipes. When I go to my new home and haven't been there for a day or two, I turn on the Kitchen Faucet and the water comes out reddish brown for about 5 - 10 seconds, with a real dark spurt after about 5 seconds. It happens on both the hot water and cold water lines. I do not notice this anywhere else in the house except for the kitchen.

The water does not smell and once the color clears, the water is crystal clear and tastes great.

Should I be concerned over this discolored water, or is it normal and something that will eventually work itself out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-05, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since it is only the one faucet, I am thinking that the inside of the faucet is rusting. That would explain why it clears up after a few seconds. Good luck.
Try disconnecting the supply line(s) under the sink and then turning on the water. If it is clear, you know the faucet is the problem.

Old 03-16-05, 06:38 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. The sidespray was not functioning anyway, so instead of just fixing it, I'll go ahead and replace the entire fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: