Can I bend a standard 1/2" copper pipe water line?

Old 03-15-05, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I bend a standard 1/2" copper pipe water line?

Hi everyone,
I have a water line (1/2") right under the kitchen sink. The longest 3/8" --> 1/2" water line to faucet water supply cord I can get at the Home Depot is 30" long.
The 30" water supply line is just short by a few inches (not even 6) and it's almost a straight drop down, unbelievable.
I got a dishwasher supply cord (also 3/8" --> 1/2") that's like 6 feet long and the 3/8" connector end is fine but violahhh the 1/2" connector end does not screw into the faucet's 1/2" threaded side (the circumferences are identical and so one doesn't overlap or screw into the other).
So at this point I'm out of options, in a fit or rage I've already taken a hammer to the nearest wall and butchered it to bits so now I have a drywall project looming to boot.

Just then I looked in the attic and noticed some copper wire that I used way back when to do the furnace/heat pump and it's wrapped around in a circle. Since I only need a couple extra inches, could I just bend my 1/2" water supply line upwards to make up the difference in length? One thing to note is that I soldered this line as an addition to the existing line so I'm afraid that bending it (if that's even recommended in the first place) would break open that soldered joint and water would start flying all over the place.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem, I'd really appreciate it,

Thanks,

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-05, 03:44 PM
Bending a copper water supply line is not advisable. You risk kinking the line.What you MIGHT be able to do is use 2 compression fittings and a short piece of copper pipe to extend the existing water supply. This will have to be done OUTSIDE of the wall as compression fittings are illegal within the wall cavity.

Good luck and reply back if you have further questions.

Old 03-15-05, 04:04 PM
Wink

One thing to note is that I soldered this line as an addition to the existing line
Why cant you just solder some soft copper on to this if you want to bend it up. Or a coupling and some hard copper with and 90oL??????

ED

Old 03-16-05, 06:20 AM
SOLUTION: Extending water line

I finally went through a number of adapters and was able to find the right one that allowed me to screw in my 3/8" line to a 3/8" male and on the other side of the 3/8" male, the adapter had a 1/2" female that I screwed into the kitchen faucet.

Why the adapter that came with this 6' cord (that also explicitly stated "1/2"") was just shy of a 1/2" boggles the mind.
Here I was last night at Home Depot with 2 1/2" labeled female adapters that are not the same size.

So obviously one of the 2 isn't really a 1/2", unbelievable. The lesson, bring everything, including the kitchen sink if needbe, to the hardware store and connect everything right then and there before buying in order to save multiple trips,

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate the input

-MC

Old 03-16-05, 08:38 AM
Different pipe sizes and makeups have different true sizes, as well as different threads.

For example, PVC and CPVC aren't the same size, even if both are stamped 1/2". You can't connect the two without an adaptor.
Same goes for threads, dishwashers use fine threads, faucets use course threads.

Fortunately, there's an adaptor or fitting that can connect just about anything to anything else..

Old 03-16-05, 06:35 PM
Ky allows pipe bending, but only 1 plumber that I know of does this practice.

They use a 1/2" conduit bender, always type L copper. Guy has been doing it for 40 years, the old school way of things.

I tried it once and you really have to know radius's and the material really well to perfect the art.

I will stick to what I know................copper fittings.