Hot Water Recirculation Pump Install -- Help!

Old 03-21-05, 08:53 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Recirculation Pump Install -- Help!

Hi
Okay, so I bought this pump that is installed on the hot water line leading from the top of the water heater to the house. Hot water is circulated periodically through the system via a valve installed across the hot and cold water lines at the fixture furthest from the water heater. The problem is that there isn't a flexpipe connection on the water heater as in the directions with the pump. Just a 3/4 copper pipe connected to the water heater. I have a pipe cutter but have never done any soldering of plumbing pipe. How do I do this? It seems I need a male and a female connection at the proper distance so that the pump will neatly fit in there. Is that right? Should I install a short section of flexpipe instead, to make it easier to connect it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Emily

Last edited by Emily; 03-21-05 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The reason for the flex line is that the pump will vibrate when running. It is also nice to have it for easy installation.
To solder the copper: Decide where you need to cut the lines. Clean up the ends of the pipe with sandcloth.Also clean the inside of the fittings. Apply a coating of flux on the pipe ends and inside the fittings. Slip the fittings onto the pipe. Heat the fitting all the way around, keeping the majority of the heat towards where the threads on the fitting are. Touch the solder to the end of the fitting where it meets the pipe until it starts to flow. Run the solder all the way around the fitting end and you will see the solder flow into the joint. When it starts to drip, remove the heat, and wipe around the joint with a soft dry cloth. Look at the joint to see if there are any pinholes. You can touch these up with a little more heat and solder. Good luck.

Old 03-22-05, 08:29 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
--> have never done any soldering of plumbing pipe. How do I do this? <--

Excellent video here shows just what Mr. Dragon said.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/resources/...rce_type=Video

Old 03-22-05, 04:03 PM
E
Thanks guys
I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 03-29-05, 03:33 PM
E
Thanks for the help! Pump works great. Easy install.
Emily

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: