disposal horror

Old 03-23-05, 08:31 PM
dixiemt
Visiting Guest
Angry disposal horror

Hi,

I removed an old disposal from my house. It went well but Gosh how do you get the old mounting assembly and mounting ring to the sink falange. I used a hammer to bend the sind falange,,, didnt work... tried a hack saw.. didnt work...

Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated...

Old 03-23-05, 08:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brand ?

Dixie, What brand was the old disposal? If the mounting flange has three screws underneath then loosen them all the way. The plate they are attached to will push straight up and expose a snap ring underneath it. Take a screwdriver and pop this ring off (Pry it downward). Once this is off the plate will drop and the flange can be pushed through the sink. If this is not even close to what your looking at post back with the brand and we will get it off. Good Luck

Old 03-23-05, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi dixiemt,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The disposal mounting ring SHOULD unscrew from the sink drain. There are wings on the ring to assist in unscrewing this ring. Since the ring has been in place for a long time, it has become very comfortable where it is. IF you haven't bent the wings too far, you may be able to take a wide blade screwdriver or chisel and a hammer to break it loose. Place the screwdriver or chisel on the wing and tap it so it turns counter-clockwise while looking up at it from under the sink. It should not take too much to get it to move.
Good luck with your project and reply back if you have further questions.

Old 03-24-05, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wrmiii asked a great question for you. He is describing an Insinkerator flange and majakdragon is describing a Whirl-A-Way flange.

The whirlaways are a real pain at times whan they break loose from the sink and just spin. I use a screw driver and pry up on the lip of holding flange. When I can get a bite with pliers, I just straigthen the flange lip up and continue to do just over half. It will then fall down and out the sink. It takes about 15 minutes longer than an Insinkerator and many more words....

Hope this helps...Good luck...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: