best way to get water supply into mobile home?

Old 04-02-05, 05:48 AM
seekinghelp
Visiting Guest
Question best way to get water supply into mobile home?

My wife and I are in the process of building a new site on which to place a new mobile home on. My main concern is having a frozen water supply line.

The people that sold us the home said all we need is to use heat tape and insulation around the water supply line.

My father thinks that I should be bringing the supply line up a culvert so that if the supply line ever freezes I can drop a heater down and thaw out the line.

My thoughts are that the culvert will gaurantee that I will have problems with freezing. (not to mention an added expense)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-05, 06:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
seekinghelp, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You didn't say what State you lived in or if your water supply was a well or city water. Best to find out what the frost level is for your area and bury the water line to at least that depth. Where it comes out of the ground and enters the home I would install a heat tape and insulate it well for future needs. Not to THAW but to PREVENT freezing. I am assuming you are going to install skirting on your home. I had masonary skirting on mine which made the underside more protected than the vinal or aluminum. I would never run a line in a culvert so I could thaw it. Prevention of freezing also insures that the line won't burst after freezing. Good luck.

Old 04-02-05, 06:40 AM
seekinghelp
Visiting Guest
Sorry for the lack of information.

We live in Saskatchewan, and the water source is from a well. The water line is 8' down to prevent that from freezing. We are supposed to be getting vinyl skirting.

The heat tape is supposed to prevent freezing, but dad's idea of the culvert is supposed to allow for the heat tape to fail and then have an easy fix.

My view is that the culvert will just intensify any chance of freezing no mater what kind of skirting is installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: