Shower spouting water when diverter is off

Old 04-04-05, 07:25 PM
chaddy23
Visiting Guest
Shower spouting water when diverter is off

I replaced the shower faucet thinking the reason why the water would still come from the shower head was due to a faulting diverter in the old faucet. After replacing I am still seeing water come from the showerhead. When I turn on the shower there is quite a bit of water pressure coming from it. I have also replaced the sink faucets as they were spraying water everywhere. Is this a potential sign of too much water pressure in the house. I am no plumber just looking for somewhere to start.

Old 04-04-05, 07:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi chaddy23,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.

You can purchase an inexpensive water pressure gage at your local home center or hardware store.This will tell you exactly what your water pressure is. It screws on to an outside faucet It read within the 40 to 60 range. This is a normal reading. If it is much higher than this you will need a pressure reducing valve installed where your water lines enter the house.

If this is a new problem, you can call your local water dept and ask if work has been done recently that could raise your water pressure. You can also talk to your neighbors and ask if they have been experiencing the same problems

If you find that you need to install a PRV, reply back and we will help you to Do It Yourself.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-04-05, 07:49 PM
chaddy23
Visiting Guest
This happens to be a new duplex I purchased so I am not sure if this is a new or ongoing issue. Does the city provide any assistance on this or is it left to the home owner?

Thanks for the reply. I may just go and get the guage as you noted.

Old 04-05-05, 05:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You may be able to call your local water dept and ask for a pressure check. If they will not do that, ask if any new subdivisions have been built near you . This is always a reason for departments to raise the pressure. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: