Pipe sweating frustrations!

Old 04-06-05, 06:12 AM
Jake1688
Visiting Guest
Pipe sweating frustrations!

I'm installing a new sillcock on my house, since it didn't have one. I tapped into an existing water line and got all my joints sweated but one. The only way I know to check for a leak is to turn on the water, but then if I have one I have to sit for hours as the water slowly leaks out of the pipe. Even then I have to hold the torch there for a long time to boil out the rest. I know I'm just a weekend handyman, so there has got to be a better way. I've tried resoldering that joint 5 times and I am worried I am either going to heat the pipe too much or loosen the other joints. Is there something in this day and age of high technology where I can smear some kind of glue or coating on this and just seal it? lol Seriously any tips will help.

Old 04-06-05, 06:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Open the outside faucet, then heat the piping at least a foot on each side of your joints. ANY water in the line will form steam and blow out of the joint you are doing. Especially if you have the faucet closed. Good luck.

Old 04-06-05, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I've tried resoldering that joint 5 times and I am worried I am either going to heat the pipe too much or loosen the other joints.
Take this all apart now and make sure the one that leaks is clean and tinned first then put it all back and just hit it with the torch light like.

ED

Old 04-08-05, 03:14 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake1688
The only way I know to check for a leak is to turn on the water, but then if I have one I have to sit for hours as the water slowly leaks out of the pipe.
Open another (2nd) faucet in the system - this breaks the vacuum so water can move freely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: