PEX Manifold System Design Advice Needed

Old 04-08-05, 09:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
PEX Manifold System Design Advice Needed

Hello all,

I'm replacing all the plumbing in my home myself and am going to go with PEX for the supply lines. I love the idea of the manifold systems and intend to put some sort of manifold system in my small, 2 BR house. My question is on design of the system.

I know I can run all the lines as home runs back to one manifold (or hot/cold set), but I've also read in some product literature that some people opt for using maybe a second manifold (or set) with a series of runs that are all going to the same place.

For instance, in my case I'm wondering if I would be better served to run all lines back to one manifold location or to do one set of manifolds for the only bathroom and another for the kitchen/washer/utility room which is all on the other side of the house. I'd also bring the two outdoor spigots off of one of those sets, probably the bathroom set.

Now, the "other side of the house" in this case is only about 20-30 feet of tubing away (maybe 40' for the utility room), so it's not far. But I had thought of basically bringing the 3/4" supply in from the street, tee'ing off to the kitchen area with 3/4" to bring the cold into a second manifold set over there. The other side of the above tee would continue to the water heater, through the bathroom manifold. Hot water would be done in a similar fashion.

That's a lot of words for what really is a simple question when it's all boiled down:

Is the home run with one manifold idea better or the two manifold (one on each side of the house) idea better? By "better" I'm looking for the best performance in terms of pressure balance, shortest wait for hot water, etc.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 04-14-05, 07:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PEX thickness of piping is significant to copper piping.......thus if you are trying to maintain the same ID......you will have to run 1" as your main trunk line to your second manifold.

Also, beware of rodents/mice. They have a tendency to eat through this piping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: