Copper pipe is leaking and plumber is asking to break the wall

Old 04-09-05, 10:03 AM
dimpy99
Visiting Guest
Copper pipe is leaking and plumber is asking to break the wall

We just had the first week of summer weather in Chicago. My daughter opened the outside tap for watering the garden and there was a gush of water spilled into the house. Whereas the inside is being taken care of by a company to dry, and refloor, I am looking to get a plumber fix the actual leak.

The pipe that is supposedly leaking is in the wall that runs through the wall between our bathroom and the laundry room.

A plumber came today and told me that the only way to fix this is to take the wall down from the bathroom side and fix the pipe. My question is, is it necessary to have the wall cut to get to this pipe or is there a way to install a new copper pipe without cutting the wall.

Also, he suggests that I should put an access panel so that next time, if this happens, that the wall does not need to be taken down. Can you advise?

Thanks for all the help...this time and many times before.

-dimpy99

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-05, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Although the wall should not have to be "taken down" , the plumber does need access to the pipe. The access door for future use is a good idea. If the plumber knows the area of the leak he would normally cut in that area and make the cut approximately the size of an access panel which would save you having to repair the wall and at the same time give you future access. Good luck.

Old 04-09-05, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Sounds right to me. He looked at it and said what had to be done to fix it. So Id say let him go into the wall and do it right. Id also check and see if this was a freeze proof
(Bib C***) or outside hose valve. Going to the outside and it didnt slope down to drain.
If it has tile on it in the bath can you cut into the other side of the wall and fix it there.

ED