Beginner wet venting question

Old 04-09-05, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beginner wet venting question

I want to wet vent a shower through a vanity sink. My bathroom branch drain is in the middle of the bathroom, so the vanity drain pipe goes a short horizontal* distance (about 17"), before reaching the branch drain. I want to use this pipe as the wet vent.

My book says that wet vents need to join into the branch line at 45 degrees. The Y-fitting that the horizontal section of line goes into *is* angled at 45 degrees, but then there's the 17" horizontal section.

Would this be OK, or would it be against code?

Thanks,

Antun

* It's not completely horizontal - it's angled by 1/4" per foot.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 04:40 AM
Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm trying to decide whether I've been planning the plumbing all wrong and whether it's worth my ripping it out now and starting over...

Thanks,

Antun

Old 04-13-05, 05:39 AM
As long as the shower drain itself is a minimum of 2" AND the vanity drain is 2" (where you are placing the 'y') not 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" AND the total distance from the shower trap to the stack is not over 5 feet.

The reason for the 2" is the DFU (drain fixture loading) for 1 1/2" pipe is 1 which is just a lav. You want to add the shower to this line. A shower is 2 DFU. This is a total of 3 DFU on the line. A normal 1 1/2" drain installation would handle this load, but wet venting is different. You increase the pipe size to the next pipe size for the most part.

45 degrees is good....

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-13-05, 06:17 AM
Hi notboo

Thanks for your reply. The shower drain and vanity drains are both 2". However I don't plan to vent the shower via the stack. What I want to do is wet vent the shower through the vanity (it would be within 5' of the vanity, but more like 12' from the main stack).

What I'm asking about is whether it's OK to have an almost horizontal run of the wet vent (i.e. the vanity drain) where it branches from the Y fitting until it gets behind the wall.

-Antun

Old 04-13-05, 04:14 PM
As long as there is a vent on the vanity line and you stay under 5 feet, it should work.

Almost horizontial will work with the fixture loading and the pipe size. If this was a toilet, no way, but a lav or shower yes it will.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-13-05, 06:25 PM
Thanks!

-Antun

Old 04-15-05, 06:31 AM
i think what they mean by 45 degrees is that the sanitary tee that you put on the horizontal line has to be angled up 45 degrees from the horizontal, minimum. You are ok it sounds like.

Old 04-15-05, 08:22 AM
Sanitary tee's are never put on horizonial lines. They are only allowed on vertical lines.

Old 04-15-05, 08:53 AM
I have one of those Y-fittings, pointing downstream. The Y that comes off it is angled up at 45 degrees.

-Antun

Originally Posted by notuboo
Sanitary tee's are never put on horizonial lines. They are only allowed on vertical lines.

Old 04-15-05, 10:46 AM
A wye is totally different from a santitary tee.

A wye is made for and used as a drainage fitting for horizontial to horizonial change if directions. A wye with whatever bend elbow you want is perfectly allowed.

A santitary tee is only used in a vertical pipe for either drainage or venting.
It has to do with the barrel of the side inlet does not allow for a sweeping action of sewage due to that it is too short for the change of direction on it's side or back. Solid particles would have a tendency to collect there. Vertically placed has no problems as the sewage falls down the drain.

Hope this is a clear explaination.

Old 04-15-05, 10:53 AM
MOO - MOO, MOO (OOps - My bad) i meant WYE!!!

Old 04-23-05, 01:24 PM
I thought I knew the difference between a WYE and a sanitary tee, but now I'm not so sure.

On the fitting I have, it is shaped like a Y, but there are no sweeping curvy bits. The Y part (the branch) joins the main part at about a 45 degree angle.

Is that a sanitary tee?

-Antun

Old 04-24-05, 06:15 AM
I don't know how the other post the pictures to show what stuff looks like.

The wye is just that, a wye. It comes in at a 45 degree angle. You then use a bend to complete the angle you need.

The sanitary tee has a curve built into the side inlet. This is a slight change of direction from the standard straight tee.

Old 04-24-05, 08:30 AM
Found this link...may help...may not.....

Page down to the vent section

http://www.codecheck.com/plumcode.htm#toolow