cast iron soil stack replacement

Old 04-11-05, 02:59 PM
markmoffatt
Visiting Guest
cast iron soil stack replacement

hello, i have a 2 story house w/full basement and attic access. i'm planning a remodel down the road that will include 3 bathrooms (1 main floor, 2 on 2nd floor) and a relocated kitchen sink. all of these will tie into a 4 inch main soil stack. the current stack is cast iron. i'm wondering if i could get a plumbing contractor to replace the ci w/pvc, install the appropriate fittings in the correct location and just cap off the branch lines. i could then finish the rest of the dwv system and the supply side myself when time and money permit. i have exposed the soil stack on all sides from the basement to the 2nd floor ceiling. i'm going to get some estimates, but does anyone have a rough idea what a reasonable amount to pay would be? thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is one of those ideas that look great on paper. Cast iron is so much quietier than plastic drains.

I'd look at altering the current stack at the second floor and up. Leave the first floor as cast iron.

Now for cost...for me to say it would cost so much where I live and say someone else says it cost this much where they live, really doesn't help you. You have hungry plumbers everywhere as well as overpriced plumbers. Get several bids so you can make a good judgement call.

THEN....look at renting a cast iron snap cutter and doing the work yourself. There is a real pain in the *ss factor on this job as cast iron is very heavy so that should also be factored in on your cost.

There are several people here that can walk you through the rebuild process and the proper fittings to use. Think about this as you get your estimates.

Hope this helps, more questions ask and someone will answer them...GOOD LUCK.

Old 04-12-05, 11:23 AM
markmoffatt
Visiting Guest
thank you notuboo, i like quiet. thinking about leaving the first floor as ci. if i did, and snapped my ci to put in a 4 inch sanitary t for the first floor bath (wc and lav only), would i want to use a nohub iron fitting or pvc w/stubs?

Old 04-12-05, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You haven't priced CI fittings compared to plastic. ABS fittings with short nipples installed then using Mission-Clay couplers (ferncos with the solid stainless steel wrapping for a better description) would be the connector of choice inside a wall on a stack.
Absolutely over support the remaining cast iron stack when installing these pieces. There is a surprising amount of wieght in that stack.

Good luck...

Old 04-21-05, 08:15 AM
markmoffatt
Visiting Guest
i'll make sure i the beast is supported, thanks. i have another question. the alignment of the lav and wc for first floor bath is such that it would be very convienient if i could use the following fitting sequence on the same branch line. starting at the soil stack: 4x4x4 san t to 4 inch nipple to 4x4x2 san t (4 inch sweep to wc, immediately adjacent to stack, and 2 inch inlet towards lav) 2 inch nipple to reduce to 1.5 to elbow up (clean out at end of horizontal run) to san t for lav and vent). is this allowed? i've read that horizontal lines connected to a wc should be considered as trap arms. don't know if i can have an upstream lav drain into the same line the wc is on. thanks for advice. i've read other threads and can see a lot of help is being dispensed, great site.

Last edited by markmoffatt; 04-22-05 at 05:12 AM.