Pipes knocking

Old 04-16-05, 04:14 PM
stevenardigo
Visiting Guest
Pipes knocking

HI-
I just started watering my lawns (front and back) and noticed a rhythmic knocking sound in the pipes in one of our bathrooms when the sprinklers are on. This only happens when using the sprinklers. Other irrigation zones, mostly drip systems, dont cause this, nor do interior appliances, faucets or showers. Our house was built in 1949 and Im sure some of the pipes are as old. At this time it is more of a nuisance more than anything else. Any thoughts, concerns, suggestions???

Old 04-18-05, 07:58 AM
toadfish
Visiting Guest
Does the bathroom that the noise is coming from have a hand held shower? Sounds like a washer is vibrating somewhere.

Old 04-18-05, 10:55 AM
stevenardigo
Visiting Guest
Nope. It sounds to me like its under the house, but it is really only obvious in this one bathroom.

Old 04-20-05, 12:34 AM
toadfish
Visiting Guest
Still sounds like a washer vibrating somewhere. Run the sprinkler and check the main feed valve to the sprinkler system. try closing the valve a bit and see if that quites the noise.

Old 04-23-05, 02:18 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ccccccccccccccc

Old 04-23-05, 02:22 PM
stevenardigo
Visiting Guest
still no luck. I closed valve as much as I could w/o restricting water flow....no change. I am ready to give up.....

Old 04-24-05, 03:01 AM
Joe Steeler Fan
Visiting Guest
Same Problem / Pipes Knocking

Just saw this thread, rather than starting a new one, I thought I'd post here. Just this week, everytime someone uses either turns on the water in the kitchen or any of the bathrooms, we here this loud knocking sound in the basement (obviously the water pipes) ....

What is causing this and how do I fix it? Someone said it may be air getting into the water pipes?

Old 05-12-05, 05:51 AM
LI Neil
Visiting Guest
Have the same problem with my sprinkler, only started this season, when the first Zone turns on, for 2-3 seconds I get a loud banging and then it goes away. No changes to my house plumbing. Any suggestions?

Neil

Old 06-06-05, 08:43 AM
toadfish
Visiting Guest
Do you guys have a Pressure Reducing Valve on the CW feed coming into the house? I've had whistling noises come from PRV's try decrease/increasing the pressure and see if that makes a diff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: