water in the botom of a dishwasher after running

Old 04-17-05, 09:53 AM
water in the botom of a dishwasher after running

Hi,
I was over at a buddy's place last night for a party and he opened his dishwasher and showed me a bunch of water in the bottom of the dishwasher tub. Said that everytime he runs the dishwasher, that's the result (water in the bottom).
So I opened up the cabinet and saw that the dishwasher drain hose started low, came up, wound around, and eventually connected to the garbage disposal.
When I installed mine, I ran the dishwasher drain up to an air gap and a separate hose from the air gap down to the garbage disposal. I don't have that problem but then again my dishwasher is brand new.
I told him that putting in an air gap would do the trick but now that I'm re-thinking about this (sober), I figured I'd like to get a second opinion on the cause(s)/solution(s) of water remaining in the dishwasher tub after running,

any pointers?

tks,

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelChang
Hi,
I was over at a buddy's place last night for a party and he opened his dishwasher and showed me a bunch of water in the bottom of the dishwasher tub. Said that everytime he runs the dishwasher, that's the result (water in the bottom).
-MC
Some water in the bottom is normal for all dishwashers, as it keeps the seals from drying out. It's just not visible in some since they have a screen over the area that holds the water.

Old 04-17-05, 02:54 PM
NORMAL installation of a dishwasher without an air gap consists of running the drain hose up over the highest point you can and then down into the drain. This will allow some water to stay in the unit. I am told that air-gaps are now code in all States. Your friends low running hose is probably the problem. Good luck.

Old 04-18-05, 09:33 PM
mtolleson
Visiting Guest
Water in Dishwasher

I've never owned a dishwasher that DIDN'T leave water in the bottom when it was finished. Someone told me this was normal. It's possible the newer ones don't leave the water like the older ones did.

Old 05-19-05, 02:19 AM
Our dishwasher was doing the same thing and we discovered that it wasn't draining. Ours is a portable dishwasher, BTW. There's a little thing that looks kind of like a hat under the bottom rack at the front that lifts to drain and then drops back down and it wasn't doing that.

Get him to run the dishwasher and then listen for the water draining - could be that's the problem.

Old 05-19-05, 05:50 AM
drainage does seem to be the problem

I plan on guiding his drainage line up to the highest point since it's so long a and wrapping in all directions. I actually planned on doing this a while back, just haven't seen the dude for some time.

Hopefully that does the trick,

Thanks,

-MC