Green Deposit on Copper Pipe - Help

Old 04-18-05, 06:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green Deposit on Copper Pipe - Help

My home is brand new (8 months old). There are some green deposit in copper water pipe at pipe joints of water meter inside the home. My neighbor told me that it's a sign of water leak, but I dont see any visible leaks (water dripping). He said it could be pinhole leaks starting, which is not supposed to happen yet (not at least several years from now) since it's a brand new home. I brought the issue to the builder and came to look at it. I was told that it was normal. Initially I was told by the builder that it was green putty that was used to connect the copper pipe. I said I dont believe it's green putty, but that it was not heated properly at pipe joint so it's starting to have pinhole leaks. He said it comes off to clean it. My neighbor's has no green deposits on his pipe. He's schedule a plumber to stop by this week to explain to me that the green deposit is not a problem.

I would appreciate any plumber experts' opinion on this. Thanks.

Last edited by canon; 04-18-05 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-05, 08:11 PM
Take pictures of your situation and post them on this thread.

What that green is is corrosion left over from the flux that was not wiped off of the solder connection.

It is not what I call "professional" since you are supposed to wipe the solder joints down so that this doesn't happen.

The piping can be cleaned by taking a torch and heating the pipe to remove it.....or acetone will take it off. The green corrosion doesn't exactly affect the piping; just a eyesore.....hard to clean the piping years later if you have to cut into the piping and make repairs, additions.

Old 04-18-05, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBER
Take pictures of your situation and post them on this thread.
Here are the pictures of green deposit/stain I'm talking about

http://www.geocities.com/luvcanong3/IMG_1437.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/luvcanong3/IMG_1442.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/luvcanong3/IMG_1443.jpg

Some areas appear to be wet too. This will not become a problem over time??

Thanks for the reply

Old 04-19-05, 04:43 AM
I do have one concern, why would some areas of the green stain appear wet? Also, you said the green is corrosion from left over flux....., "corrosion" doesn't mean eating away the pipe eventually (??)

To clean it, do I mix acetone with water, or just apply acetone directly to the affected areas?

I'm beginning to think that the plumber who did my neighbor's wasn't the same person who did mine. :-( His is clean. When I first noticed this green, I thought it's green mold that could eventually seep into the joints and contaminate my drinkingwater. Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 04-19-05, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBER
Nope. Just an eyesore. I myself would never leave piping in this fashion.

I am sure you do not think to highly of the plumber who left this mess.

I do have one concern, why would some areas of the green stain appear wet? Also, you said the green is corrosion from left over flux....., "corrosion" doesn't mean eating away the pipe eventually (??)

To clean it, do I mix acetone with water, or just apply acetone directly to the affected areas?

I'm beginning to think that the plumber who did my neighbor's wasn't the same person who did mine. :-( His is clean. When I first noticed this green, I thought it's green mold that could eventually seep into the joints and contaminate my drinkingwater. Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 04-19-05, 06:19 AM
Nope. Just an eyesore. I myself would never leave piping in this fashion.

But, it is very common in all the work I do on new homes as far as service and repair goes.

Most plumbers do not wipe the joints from excess solder or wipe the flux off.

The faster they go......the more money they make. It's a shame because I am sure you do not think to highly of the plumber who left this mess.

Old 04-21-05, 12:01 PM
Wendell
Visiting Guest
I noticed all the jonts I soldered had that green stuff after some time. Then I noticed the professional plumber I hired for a job polished all his joints with scotchbrite when he finished. His didn't turn green. I crawled around with some scotchbrite and polished my joints.

I do have one joint that leaks water--yeah one of my own. The residue is rough and sort of a rusty looking white. Not at all like the green stuff. Fixing that is one of this summer's projects.