Occasional Sewer smell from Tub

Old 04-19-05, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Occasional Sewer smell from Tub

In the bathroom when the toilet is flushed the tub drain gurgles, then after awhile a sewer smell permeates the bathroom. I assume that this would have something to do with the sanitary vent, but this is only happening during the cold times - winter, late night. When the outside temps are say above 60, the tub doesn't gurgle and no sewer smell. Also no other drain problems throughout the house. Is the sanitary vent still the culprit, I would check it out without asking but the pitch of the roof is a bit dangerous. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 03:15 AM
dallycgc
Visiting Guest
Comment expressed no help to the original poster.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-22-05 at 06:18 AM. Reason: unnecessary comment
Old 04-21-05, 11:31 AM
Wendell
Visiting Guest
Is the tub being used very much? If not the water in the tub's trap may have evaporated enough for the sewer gas to get back in.

Is there a trap under the tub? Maybe someone forgot it!

I had a high-end toilet--and they had forgotton to plug the opening between the flush passage (where the water comes in from the tank) and the top of the gooseneck. So gas could come right into the house through all the little holes around the top of the bowl. Sometimes the factory and/or the installer doesn't get things right.

Old 04-22-05, 05:57 AM
The tub is used daily and there is a trap. Is it possible to undersize the trap or use a wrong type? Thought of trying to re-dothe trap such that it will hold more water thereby making it harder for the water seal to be pulled out when the toilet is flushed.

Old 04-22-05, 06:20 AM
LFG1234.
It sounds more like a vent problem. May not be a vent on the line. The gurgling is caused by the trap being sucked out when flushing the toilet. I have no idea why it would change with the temperature though. Good luck.