Novice Trying to Plumb Added on Bathroom

Old 04-21-05, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Novice Trying to Plumb Added on Bathroom

I am a novice "plumber" at best and am going to plumb a new bathroom that I had built on a second floor above the existing bathroom. I have done some minor plumbing in the past but never a complete job. I plan to install a sink and vanity, a toilet and a shower. I'm really not sure where I need shut off valves or how high I need to run the water lines for each. Is there a code for where the water line has to come out of the wall? What about connecting the toilet drain pipe to the existing vent pipe?

These are all questions I'm not really sure about and was wondering if anyone knows of a good website where it explains how to do these things.

I also need to build a shower from scratch because the shower enclosures that are available won't fit in my bathroom. What is the best process for building and tiling the shower floor and walls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-05, 09:48 AM
Wink

For all that you want to do there. I think you should call code there. See what they want there and how first.

ED

Old 04-21-05, 11:52 AM
Wendell
Visiting Guest
As far as the supply lines and drain coming out of the wall for the lavatory, look under the sink downstairs. That ought to get you going. You will have shut off stops for the sink under the vanity.

It seems to me tubs and showers don't always have shut offs. (Gee, I don't have 'em--did I get giped?) But if you need them, you can put them in a wall behind the tub/shower accessible with a access door in the wall.

As far as hooking the new toilet (nd sink/tub) to the vent stack from the downstairs plumbing, check with your local building department and hope you have one that is friendly (like mine). I think that is called wet venting, and I'm not sure the details or requirements. Too, there is an issue to observe about hooking the vents from the lavatory and tub back into the stack.

And, don't put a trap under the toilet! I've actually seen it drawn into text books as the way to do it. The toilet bowl and gooseneck makes its own trap.

Go to your library and look at several books--looking for nice examples--and recent publication date.

W.

Old 04-21-05, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your help. I will definitely make a stop at the library. Thanks for the good tips Wendell.