Basement floor drain

Old 04-21-05, 05:12 PM
tiffer
Visiting Guest
Question Basement floor drain

From time to time we have a small back up of water from one of the floor drains . This only happens in the drain in the basement laundry room. It seems to happen when the kitchen sink is being used. In fact I have even seen some dish soap back up into the basement laundry tub. I've used drain cleaner but it does not seem to do much. Is it possible that the stack over the kitchen is causing the problem and needs to be looked at? It does not happen every time the kitchen sink is used. There is a dishwasher and a garbage disposal hooked up to the drain pipe under the kitchen sink. They function properly and I have seen no back up when they were in use.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-05, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It would appear that you have a slight clog in the main drain line. Hopefully you do not have tree roots growing into the line. You may want to see if there is a clean-out plug in the basement and rent a power auger to clean it out. Dishwashers and sinks do not really put out a large volume of water so thats why you don't have a major flood from back-up. I am surprised you don't have more of a problem when the washing machine is discharging. You could try an enzyme drain cleaner if you are sure it is not tree roots. They cling to the clog and eat them, unlike caustic drain openers that go through the small opening they create and then are gone. Good luck.