Installed Pex, hot water goes fast

Old 04-26-05, 04:58 PM
downtownjoe
Visiting Guest
Installed Pex, hot water goes fast

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I replaced all of my galvanized pipe with Pex and I have the hot water running into a manifold and branches off to all the fixtures in the house. The problem that I seem to be running into, is that I have a 70 gal hot water heater and when I go to fill my new tub that says it holds 55 gals to the overflow, if I just run the hot water, I run out of hot water about 4 inches below the overflow. I even installed a super low flow shower head,and the showers seem to go pretty fast. I even tried the bathroom sink as it got cold and it runs cold too. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You didn't say how old the heater was. What you may have is a missing or damaged dip-tube. This tube is installed in the opening for the cold water inlet. It just sits in the hole below the pipe. If it is damaged or fell into the tank, you will get cold water faster than you should. Reason being, the dip-tube takes the cold water to the bottom of the tank and pushes the hot water out. If the dip-tube is not working correctly, it "short-circuits" and the cold water goes directly out the the hot water supply line. Good luck.

Old 04-27-05, 04:40 PM
downtownjoe
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I will have it checked out since it is a rented hot water heater (don't ask) I bought the house and the people before me have been renting it for $10 a month since 1995 (which makes it well over a $1000 water heater, hahaha) Thanks again, Joe