...Drilled holes in toilet drain pipe

Old 04-29-05, 03:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
...Drilled holes in toilet drain pipe

When installing a shelf in our laundry room a couple of weeks ago, I accidentally drilled two holes in the PVC pipe inside the wall. I think the pipe is for the toilet upstairs. Worst of all I didn't event realize what I did until last night.
Wall I went to the basement when I saw water dripping from the unfinished ceiling around the area where the pipe pass through the floor. I went to laundry room upstairs and saw water oozing out from the wall around the shelf bracket. I don't know how long the leak has been going on. The hardwood floor near the wall has already showed some signs of water damage. My question is what's the proper way to repair the pipe. Should I open up the wall and do some cleaning up, if not will I have a mold problem. I already noticed some green stuff in the basement ceiling around the leaking area. How much would it cost if I call a professional. I want to do the homework before calling a contractor. Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 04-29-05, 05:12 AM
JeepinNYC
Visiting Guest
I would start by opening up that wall where you think the leak is. The actual repair shouldn't be too difficult. There may be some type of patch at a big box store, or you can just cut out a section of pipe and add in a new section with the appropriate glue.

If there is water in the wall be sure to allow sufficient time for things to dry out before closing it up to prevent mold growth. A fan left blowing on the area for a day or so would work wonders.

Old 04-30-05, 06:44 AM
B
Thanks fro your reply Jeep.

Old 04-30-05, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might be best to cut the drywall out from stud to stud from top to bottom. Let it all dry out. Then screw or nail1X2on each side on the studs to put the new drywall to. A light spray of 50 50 clorox and water in there will help kill mold. Id patch it dont try and cut it out and a new pipe in there

ED

Old 05-01-05, 05:38 AM
B
Thanks Ed. Actually there are more to the story. I
installed the shelf at the same location as the shelf installed by the
builder, only about 8" lower. I took out the bracket on
builder's shelf and sure enough there are two holes in the pipe. I installed the shelf only a few weeks ago. I believe the hole drilled by the builder has been causing slow leak since we moved in last December. A fewe months ago, I discovered darker colored area in the unfinished basement ceiling where the pipe passes through but didn't realize it's caused by water; I also saw some green stuff in two small hole in the ceiling but didn't pay much attention to it. I now know those are mold froming in the holes.

Old 05-01-05, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I believe the hole drilled by the builder has been causing slow leak since we moved in last December. A fewe months ago, I discovered darker colored area in the unfinished basement ceiling
Id for sure call the builder in on this one. get him to fix it.

ED

Old 05-01-05, 02:04 PM
B
I've already called the builder; they agreed to check it out. In order to get them to cover all the cost (hardwood floor near the wall show signs of water damage) I'll need to convince them that the holes drilled by them caused damage already and I believe they (the holes) did

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: