Very Strange leak!

Old 04-29-05, 05:25 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very Strange leak!

I have 3" ABS drain line going from the second floor to the basement inside an outside wall. There's a 90 elbow between joists where it goes horizontal across the basement.

The upper elbow joint is leaking where the verticle piece of pipe goes into the elbow. In other words, the waste water is wicking up hill through the joint, beading up on the elbow edge then dripping down on to the wall sill. I know this sounds crazy but i've had two other people confirm this.

This leak first started about 2 years ago, once I figured out what was going on I dried, cleaned and coated the joint with ABS cement. this seemed to work but know it's back.

This pipe and joint is were difficult to access (mirror & flashlight) To repair it correctly by cutting out the pipe and elbow and repace it I will have to cut open the outside of the house which I will probably do some time this summer but in the meantime is there a good epoxy or sealant that would seal this temporarily. ABS cement seems to thin, I don't think silicone will stick very long.

Any words of wisdom please!

Old 04-30-05, 06:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you have verified where the leak is, you can probably find an epoxy that would work. Make sure it is made for a wet application. Since it is a drain line, there should be no pressure unless it is slightly clogged and backing up (which seems to be the problem). Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: