Cast iron drain dripping

Old 05-01-05, 01:32 AM
Bob C
Visiting Guest
Cast iron drain dripping

I have cast iron drain pipes in my crawlspace. At 2 pipe joint locations there are very small leaks. Can you reapply joint compound without taking the pipe apart? The pipe is 4" and looks like a 1/4" gap around the pipe where they meet is filled with sealing compound. I thought I could try to scrape out as much of the original compound as possible and than use some caulk. Will this be sufficient? Is caulk good enough or do I need pipe sealing compound.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-01-05, 01:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is a cast iron line, then what you are referring to as "sealing compound" is lead. Thats how the cast iron is coupled and sealed. Lead is poured into the joint and then a special chisel type tool is used to compress the lead and make it spread out and seal. You MAY be able to seal it with an aquarium silicone caulk. No guarantees here. Good luck.

Old 05-01-05, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here's something that has worked for me in the past when I've had that same problem... If you can get to the joints and can see the leak you may be able to fix it. As Dragon has said the "sealing compound" is lead. I've taken a medium sized cold chisel (metal chisle) and cround off the tip until there was a flat, unstead of sharp cutting edge, and used that with a hammer to tap the lead tighter into the joint. Just keep tapping around the joint and the lead will compress tighter and seal the leak.
Good luck!

Old 05-02-05, 03:09 AM
Bob C
Visiting Guest
cast iron drain dripping

I will try the compressing method first and if not successful the aquarium sealant. A guy at Lowes told me my problems are just beginning, once one area leaks other joints are sure to follow since the home is 40 years old. He said to replace all of the pipe with pvc.

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: