plumbing code question, regarding outside faucet

Old 05-01-05, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plumbing code question, regarding outside faucet

Does the plumbing code actually require a slight fall of the pipe connecting to the outside faucet, so that the water could be drained out? I know this is common sense but is there a code actually mandating this? I went through the proper procedure to drain the water out last December after we moved in but the pipe still burst. The builder said it’s not covered by the warranty. I looked at the pipe closely discovering the pipe actually has a slight fall into the basement, no wonder I couldn’t drain the water out. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 05:29 AM
Great question....no code application BUT...

What does the manufacturer say about the installation of his product?

There are provisions in some plumbing codes that provide for manufacturer's installation to be the guide for proper installation AND the code make these provisions the guidelines to be followed.

(IPC 2003) 303.2 references to installation of material. This would be the place I would start with the builder. Then if he says anything about not code, point him at 301.7 which will tell him the manufacturer's procedure will be followed when it is more restricitive than the code.

(UPC 1997) Refer to 310.4 about the manufacturer's recommendations to be followed and then to section 310.1 about workmanship.

Now, you just need to see what the recommended installation is from the manufacturer of your hose bib.

Good luck and let us know what happens...

Old 05-01-05, 05:36 AM
Wink

Have to ask why wasnt this a freeze proof hose bib for the outside??? Then you dont have to drain them???

ED

Old 05-01-05, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. Notuboo, thanks a lot for the information, I’ll try to check out the manufacturer's recommendations. To Answer Ed’s question, the faucet installed was Woodford brand with a copper pipe about 8” long and the shut off valve actually located at the far end of the pipe and inside the basement wall. I went through all the steps to drain water out, including shutting off the inside valve, opening bleed valve, opening faucet valve and pushing up the ring, there just no water came out.

Old 05-01-05, 04:14 PM
I fond the manufacturer’s website and I think the faucet is their Model 14. There is a warning message on their site, “Warning - Faucet must be installed with downward pitch toward nozzle and hose must be removed in freezing weather or faucet may freeze and burst”
http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/...es/model14.htm

The builder also installed a vacuum breaker on the faucet, which requires pushing up the black ring to bleed the faucet.

Also I remember when I bleed the faucets, both front and back (it’s the back one that burst), lots of water leaked from the bleed valve. I tried the front one today again, it still leaks, leaving a big puddle of water on the floor. I doubt this is normal and guess this is caused by the fact that the valve is at a lower level (the basement) than the faucet, which is at the ground level. So what’s the point to have bleed valves?