Trap type & orientation

Old 05-02-05, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trap type & orientation

Think rental house...rental house that will be renovated in a year so the current bath will disappear...

I've got an ancient bathroom wall sink that has a P-trap going to the wall behind it. Unfortunately, the wall pipe is going straight down through a major house beam that needs to be replaced as part of a foundation project. (Yes, the "plumbers" drilled a 2" vertical hole through a single beam 12"H x 6"W.) Since I'm going to probably rip out this entire bathroom in a year or so, and NOT replace it, I'm thinking that I can just put in a trap & Studor Vent setup. I want to drill a 2" hole in the floor to the side of the sink and just run the vertical pipe (after the trap) into the crawl where I can tap it back into the previous spot on the main drain.

My questions:
-Besides being ugly, is there anything wrong with this 1-2yr solution?
-Is this considered an "S-trap", not a P-trap any more since it sits between two vertical pipes? Aren't S-traps bad?
-Which way does the P-trap get oriented? The P-trap is not symmetrical: one side has a steep slope, the other side has a gradual slope. Is this orientation really important? (Strangely, I can find nothing online or on this site about this mysterious orientation.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
S-traps are not legal in my state; they can easily siphon out causing sewer gas to emit into the atmosphere.

Along with the fact that there is no vent for the fixture.

Use your best judgement on the way you want to replumb the piping; temporary usually leads to permanent in most cases, and that usually leads to problems.