Found a pipe in my yard. What is it?

Old 05-02-05, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Found a pipe in my yard. What is it?

So I finally got around to cutting back the huge weeds I had in my small yard this weekend and I heard a very strange noise. I traced it back to a piece of buried PVC (it's white, standard diameter, it looked 4"), the opening is flush with the ground making a gurgling noise. I checked the laundry, and sure enough the washer was currently draining itself.

So, I have a pipe that is apparently attached to my washer's drain and is pointing straight up in the yard collecting fertilizer, dirt, rocks, seed, anything that ends up in that spot is going down there. I'm guessing it's a vent but.....in the yard?!?

It's not even in a corner. I've got a fenced back yard roughtly 20X25 and this thing is about 6' from the back edge and maybe 4' from the right edge making that whole corner about useless for planting. Arg!

I've never seen or heard of this before, is this normal? This is a townhouse community built in 90/91. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as clogging or care and such? Can I put something like a vented cover over it so it can still breathe but doesn't collect garbage? (and maybe make a rock garden around it or something....)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-05, 11:22 AM
jeschliman
Visiting Guest
Most likely a clean out of some type for your septic system or city sewer. Should be capped with a female screw adapter and male screw plug.

Old 05-03-05, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by jeschliman
Most likely a clean out of some type for your septic system or city sewer. Should be capped with a female screw adapter and male screw plug.
Actually, I think that's what I have on my patio. There's a screw plug there. Would there be two of them? I have sewers BTW.

Old 05-05-05, 06:57 AM
jeschliman
Visiting Guest
Wink

It is quite possible that you have either two systems or (more likely) that you have two DWV pipes from house to sewer. If you hear or see water running in pipe, you know it goes to the sewer or what ever. Without seeing it that is about the best I know.

JE

Old 05-11-05, 12:01 PM
I just had my sewer line from the house to the street replaced, and I now have two of the same thing you're talking about. They are cleanouts. One is right beside the house and the other out at the street.

Old 05-13-05, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
I just had my sewer line from the house to the street replaced, and I now have two of the same thing you're talking about. They are cleanouts. One is right beside the house and the other out at the street.
Cool, thanks. I'll look into capping it then.

Oh, good sig line BTW.

Old 05-13-05, 10:36 AM
Technically, I think they'll need plugs, not caps.

Old 05-15-05, 02:04 PM
Just a suggestion. Since your residence was built in '90/91 you may have two systems. I Know that some areas were requiring "grey water" systems for sinks and laundry and only sewage was piped into the municipal systems. These "grey water" are usually cylindrical and are perforated on the sides.That is what you may have, and found. If possible contact your permitting agency, or the builder, (if you know who it was) and ask about this. Either cap it should not be open. But again I would inquire of the licensing agency.