How to cut the notch?

Old 05-05-05, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to cut the notch?

I am doing rough plumbing for my basement bath and I need to run copper pipes through a stud wall for the sink and shower. It seems that the easiest way to run pipe is to cut 1" x 4" notches through the stud and place the pipes inside the notches. I just wonder what tools to use and how to cut them, because I still can't picture in my mind a easy way to accomplish this. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 01:50 PM
Wink

Set a cut off saw for how deep you want them. make a cut at the top and bottom a lot of cuts between them . Then just take it out with a hammer or chisel. They make a cover strip of metal that you have to put over the pipe in the notch there on the stud. SO YOU DONT PUT A DRYWALL SCREW IN TO THE WATER PIPE

ED

Old 05-05-05, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Set a cut off saw for how deep you want them. make a cut at the top and bottom a lot of cuts between them . Then just take it out with a hammer or chisel. They make a cover strip of metal that you have to put over the pipe in the notch there on the stud. SO YOU DONT PUT A DRYWALL SCREW IN TO THE WATER PIPE

ED

Thank you for your information, Ed. But can you tell me what a cut off saw is? I have a reciprocating saw and a circular saw, not sure if I can use one of them. Thanks.

Old 05-05-05, 02:18 PM
Wink

We call them cut off saws .A hand circular saw what ever is all in where you are . But set the circular saw to the 1" depth. make the cuts say 3/8" apart and just tap the wood out.I hope you dont mean a table saw

ED