Sewer Pipe

Old 05-06-05, 08:37 AM
russapoth
Visiting Guest
Sewer Pipe

I am buying a house that has an old cast iron pipe running the sewage out of the house. My inspector told me it was starting to show signs of corrosion and we would want to replace it eventually as it is probably 40+ years old. Would you recomend switching it to pvc piping so we don't have to deal with it again? Is this a job I could do on my own with the proper pipe cutting tools? Im very competent and dont mind taking something like this on. Is it possible to do a section at a time and mix pvc piping with the cast iron? Does anyone know what a job like this might cost should I opt to hire someone? The pipe is probably close to 20-25 feet in legnth. Thanks - Russ

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Russ,
I would recommend schedule 40 pvc to replace the cast iron. You can cut both cast iron and pvc with a recipicating saw (sawsall) using a metal cutting blade. There is a rubber coupling called a "fernco coupling" that will join them together. It has metal bands around the ends that are tightened with a screwdriver after it is slipped over the pipe. The distance you will be running is not as important to the cost or difficulty of doing it as the depth is. Sewer is gravity flow and must be laid to the proper grade or slope for it to work right. If you do it yourself you could uncover the existing pipe and relay it a joint at a this staying on the same grade as the old one.