InSinkerator Spits Up

Old 05-09-05, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
InSinkerator Spits Up

Our garbage disposer is connected to the left side of a double sink drain system. The sink drains are connected through a "tee" or "Y" shaped connector to a "P" trap which goes into the drain line.

When the disposer is turned on (with waste in it & water running); water blows up out of the right drain. We have had to resort to using a drain stopper to avoid getting that mess all over the sinks & surrounding area. A prior, lower powered disposer - installed exactly the same way - never did this.

I contacted InSinkerator Tech Support about this problem. They "farted" me off by claiming that I had a clogged drain line. I disassembled the system & snaked out the drain line back to the main stack (only 6 feet). This made no difference what so ever. Additionally, if you run water into the open (right) sink drain, it flows freely. To me it appears that the drain line is clear & working as it should.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is here & how to fix it? Your help will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-05, 08:50 AM
You used a regular tee fitting to make the connection to the drain. You should have used a "disposer tee", it will direct the flow toward the p-trap.

Old 05-09-05, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reply Rainbird, it's appreciated.

Frankly, I never knew there was a "disposer tee". I'll check that out.

Best regards

Old 05-10-05, 07:52 AM
Rainbird, I now understand what an "end oulet tee" is & how it works.

I also understand that some installers don't like to use them - see the reasons in this link.

http://www.talstar.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

Based on what this person says, the baffle in the "end outlet tee" reduces the flow from both sinks (because the 1 1/2" line is divided by it). He says a better way to do this is to use a "Wye" with two "P" traps so each line is wide open.

Do you think this is a real issue? Or is it just this persons opinion? To actually do the installation this way would be a real big headache here. The restricted space under the sink as well as the peculiar angle/length where the main drain line comes out of the wall really complicates things.

Best regards, Dick

Old 05-10-05, 08:35 AM
With space under the sink being a problem, I would recommend you install the disposal tee (end outlet tee). I have not seen many problems with this type of installation. In fact, this is what I have under my own kitchen sink. If things don't work out you can then go to more drastic job of re-plumbing to a double trap setup.

Also just be careful what you put into the disposal. Don't run stringy foods, raw meat, banana peels or bones, etc...

Good luck and please post back and tell us how things turn out.