Vent for utility room (washer & utility sink)

Old 05-13-05, 08:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Vent for utility room (washer & utility sink)

I'm looking to add a washer and utility sink to a utility room. The utility room is an addition to the original house which has an all brick exterior. This means that the wall on which I want to put the washer & sink is the original brick "outside" wall. The original house has a crawlspace, the utility is a slab. So the supply lines and drain lines are no problem because I can easily cut a small hole through the brick and into the crawlspace. (Actually, my plan is to build a half-height stud wall, anchor that to the bricks and use this wall to help support the pipes, then drywall over the stud wall and calk it where it meets the original brick.

My question is the vent. In this wall there is an existing vent for the kitchen (sink and dishwasher). I'd like to tie into this vent, but I understand I need to tie in 6" above the flood level of the above sink. This means I need to tie in approximately five feet off the gorund. On one side I have a brick wall (which I could break open, but then how hard would it be to fix so that it looks "decent), on the other side of the wall are kitchen cabinets. So what would be the easiest way to get into this wall and tie into the vent stack?

Oh yeah, electric water heater is also going into this room. Because this room doesn't have a drain in the floor, do I need to run the T&P pipe to outside?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-05, 06:19 PM
Instead of building a kneewall to support the piping for the laundry facilities, take it all the way up and tie into the existing vent above 42".

As far as the floor drain goes, you need to pipe the T&P to either the outside grade within 6" of the ground or indirect to a room where a floor drain is.

Old 05-19-05, 01:25 PM
B
By "take it all the way up" I assume you mean build the wall all the way to the ceiling joints? Should I take down the existing brick face of the wall? Otherwise I'd have a sandwich of a stud wall in the kitchen, brick wall (the original exterior of the house) and then the new stud wall in the utility room.

It will probably be easier to pipe T&P to the outside through the wall of the utility room. Any thoughts on how to "finish" the pipe that will then be sticking outside, or should it just be a copper pipe sticking out? (do I need to worry about screening the opening to the pipe so it doesn't become clogged/infested).

Thanks again! I was afraid that this thread slipped by w/o an answer

Old 05-19-05, 06:42 PM
You can sweat a 3/4" FIP on the end of it and push a small screen in the end of it if need be for the T&P discharge line.

I wouldn't remove the brick, I was just looking at it as a way to open the wall to tie into the existing vent and being able to cover it up without much work, keeping the wall looking clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: