How do I extend a gas line myself (for a grill)?

Old 05-13-05, 01:09 PM
pmignini
Visiting Guest
Question How do I extend a gas line myself (for a grill)?

I want to purchase a natural gas grill, and to accommodate this, want to extend our existing gas line to the area in our yard where the grill will go. We have a gas line that attaches to our pool heater, and has an iron pipe into which could be cut a T, and a line extended from that toward the back yard.

I've gotten several estimates, and they are all pricey ($1000 and up). I am fairly handy, and was considering doing this myself. Of course, I'd like to do it without blowing my family and home to kingdom come. Does anyone know of a step-by-step (or nearly so) set of instructions to accomplish such a task?

All the folks giving estimates said they'd use poly pipe and bury it 18" underground to meet requirements.

I have a good feel for the route of the pipe, the location of the end adapter, and where I'd cut the T. Of course, I know where my gas main shut-off is. The T would be located about 23 feet from where the adapter would go (plus some length for a turn or two underground and the extension upward).

In addition to instructions, I'd like to know the techniques to attach pipe, the recommended pipe types, the adapter type needed to connect the grill, and other materials and techniques. Any guidance or resources would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-05, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 quick problems, out of many, for you to check into and consider.

The line to the pool heater that is just conviently placed for the extension, is it just sized for the heater OR do you actually have the gas available to safely make the connection. Gas lines are sized for everything to be on at the same time. You need some measurements, line sizes, and then look at some gas charts to see what you can do.

Can you buy the material you need to place in the ground? As corny as this sounds, some parts of the country (USA) actually treats gas work seriously and requires that actual plumbers attend seminars and classes just so they can legally buy certain material used in gas work. Not all areas are treated the same with some more lax and others much more strict. You should probably kinda check this out by calling the local building department or your local gas company.

Let us know what you find and we can discuss this some more. I'm not against the average Joe homeowner doing gas work, for the most part, but you do need to know what you are doing.