1/2 inch stop and waste valve

Old 05-15-05, 12:31 PM
swope1221
Visiting Guest
1/2 inch stop and waste valve

Hi. I need to replace a stop and waste valve on my 1/2 copper line for my diswasher. I know when sweating a fitting, I need to direct the heat at the fitting, not the pipe. When sweating on this stop and waste valve, there is a rubber washer inside to stop the water. I read that I need to open the valve to avoid damaging the washer. However, do I still direct the heat at the stop and waste valve, or do I direct my heat of my torch elsewhere (like where the pipe fits into the stop and waste valve)? I am afraid even with the valve open, the heat will still melt the washer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-18-05, 06:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can actually wrench that valve apart to protect the rubber washer from heat but most times leaving the valve fully open will protect it.

It is a matter of preference where you direct the heat; I always hit the edge of pipe and edge of fitting and move around a little bit. Just my way, been doing it for 19 years.

Old 05-22-05, 08:45 AM
swope1221
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dunbar. I actually bought a valve at home depot for 2 bucks, and played around with it before I acutally replace it. I believe it was B & K brand. I was easily able to get the packing nut off, but then right where the stem goes into the body of the valve, I put a pair of vice grips on it to get it off and to take out the stem , and man it was tough. Is this what you meant by wrenching it apart or just taking off the packing nut? I didn't know if they put these valve together some how presealed and they weren't meant to be taken apart. Kind of feel that if I had to work that hard to get it apart, that it wasn't meant to be taken apart and if I put it back together it might leak. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: