Help w/old blow torch

Old 05-17-05, 09:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help w/old blow torch

When my father died, I got his old (at least 50 years) blow torch. Recently, I needed to use it so I cleaned it up and tried to use it. I could get a yellow flame out of it but not the hot blue that I remember when Dad used it. It couldn't even do a good job of melting solder.

The only thing I can think of is that todays 87 octane no-lead gasoline will not work. Could this be it???? Thanks

Old 05-17-05, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is like my Dads old brass looking torch, it used "white gas". Not even sure if you can get it anymore but I am sure someone here will know. Since Berzomatic, most of the old equipment went into storage. Good luck.

Old 05-17-05, 07:22 PM
R
majadragon

You're right...it is the all brass kind. I thought Dad used regular gasoline but maybe you are right with the "white gas". I don't remember seeing "white gas" for at least ** years.

Old 05-17-05, 11:46 PM
G
Maybe you can try camping fuel used in camping stoves or is that "white gas" ?

Old 05-19-05, 08:06 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I used one a long time ago. Camping fuel will probably work. Make sure the pump works. Also there is a dish like piece of metal under the main burner put some fuel in the dish and light it, you have to preheat the main burner to change the fuel to a gas,so the torch will work right.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-22-05, 01:53 AM
C
Camping fuel such as you would use in a Coleman Stove is, indeed, what they call 'White Gas.' I'm sure it would work fine. I, too have an old torch but it is in my collection of antique tools. I suppose I could use it if I wanted to, but like the Dragon says, it is there for a reason. The new things that "BernzoMatic" have come out are much better, more efficient. I love my 'one-touch' automatically lighting torch...

Old 05-22-05, 09:12 AM
R
Thank You Everyone

I Knew I Went To The Right Place..to All : Thank You For Your Kindness

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: