How do I connect PVC to cast iron pipe?

Old 05-18-05, 03:12 PM
assemblage
Visiting Guest
How do I connect PVC to cast iron pipe?

I'm planning on upgrading the water pipe from my meter to the house to a 1 1/2" PVC pipe so I can install a lawn irrigation/sprinkler system. The house was built in 1954 and has galvanized iron pipe that has decreased water flow due to rusting inside the pipe. At this time I really don't want to replace all the galvanized pipe.

Is there a connector that would allow me to make this pvc to galvanized iron pipe connection? I will probably have to cut the iron pipe, so It won't be threaded. The galvanized pipe is either 1" or 3/4" diameter.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 04:47 PM
I don't know if it is up to code, but @ my house someone has connected a Galvy drain pipe to abs with an adapter that is rubber with a metal sleeve around it and stainless steel hose clamps on either side. Now this has apparently works for a number of years ( about 8), but this is a drain pipe which isn't under pressure. good luck

Old 05-18-05, 05:30 PM
In most localities PVC is acceptable for potable water (from meter to the house) Check with your local codes regarding this. PVC is not acceptable for use within the house itself. Use CPVC or a better solution replumb with copper.

Regarding transition from galvanized to PVC for your sprinklers or other uses. If it's (CTS) water pipe, USBrass compression fittings will work. You can use these for transitions from copper to CPVC to galvanized or PEX or any combination thereof. Use an approved backflow device on the sprinkler setup to prevent siphon into the potable water feeding the house.

Last edited by Rainbird; 05-18-05 at 09:25 PM. Reason: changed description on compression fitting