Air Flow Valve

Old 05-22-05, 08:31 AM
Druffner
Visiting Guest
Air Flow Valve

I have an air flow valve installed in the kitchen sink. I want to replace this with a soap dispenser but I am not sure exactly what the valve does. I have been told it forms an air block between the dishwasher and garbage disposal. Do I need to keep it and if yes can I more it under the sink and use the sink hole for my soap dispenser? THANKS for an any/all info on my question.

Old 05-22-05, 10:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You're referring to an air gap. What it does is prevent sewage from entering the domestic drinking water, which can happen under certain, albeit obscure, circumstances. Some local codes require them & some don't. The ones that don't will want the drain from the DW to be routed as high as possible in the cabinet before connection to the GD (or branch tee if there isn't a GD).

The 'certain circumstances' do not happen very often, but can occur. It's referred to as a cross-connection, and cross-connections have caused illness and death over the decades. Best bet would be to drill another hole in the sink for the soap dispenser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: