shower diverter leak

Old 05-23-05, 11:03 AM
hobbes01
Visiting Guest
shower diverter leak

I have a leak in my shower diverter and I can't seem to remove the diverter in order to replace it. I think it's a Waltec. When I pull it out to divert the water to the shower head, water continues to come out the spout as well as spray out of the diverter itself. Can you please give me some advice? Thanks.

Old 05-23-05, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hobbes01, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You can change the whole spout. Look under the spout where it meets the wall/tub. If there is a slot there, it has a set screw which when loosened or removed will allow the spout to pull off the supply pipe. If no slot, it screws onto the supply pipe. Turn it counter-clockwise to remove. If it is the screw on type, make sure the internal threads are the same distance from the back of the spout on the new one. Otherwise you would have to lengthen or shotren the supply pipe. Recaulk when done to prvent water from running behind the wall. Good luck and reply back if you have any further questions.

Old 05-23-05, 06:15 PM
hobbes01
Visiting Guest
I must appologize because I think that maybe my information wasn't complete. The diverter comes from an independent pipe above the spout right out of the wall, not attached to the spout. I've removed the chrome and what looks similar to a faucet cartridge and am left with the metal rod that pulls out which is encased in a white plastic sheath inside what looks like a 3/4 or 1 inch threaded pipe. It's the pull rod and plastic casing that I can't get out. Does it just pull straight out? I can't find any way to unsrew it. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: