change over from septic to city sewer

Old 06-01-05, 06:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question change over from septic to city sewer

I am changing form a septic system over to city sewer. I digging the drain bed I understand the pipe needs to drop 1/4" per foot but how deep do I need to be to start with. I can end up as deep as 10' or less at the connection. What is used to line the bed? Screened dirt, sand , rock?

Old 06-01-05, 03:44 PM
C
You might check your local code for the minimum depth for the sewer line. It is probably 12 inches. For a drop of 0.25 inches per foot, you could dig about 400 linear feet and still not be below 10 feet deep.

You can finish the bottom of the ditch with the fill that was removed. The objective is to avoid irregular, rocky bottom and grossly uneven areas. You could dress it with the backhoe bucket when it is replaced. Of course, gravel or sand would be convenient as they would not be clumped as most sub-soil tends to be.

As a note of safety: to avoid the risk of death from being entrapped in a collapsed trench, do not enter a trench more than four feet deep.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-05, 05:15 PM
How deep is the sewer your connecting to?

Just a point of interest. The 1/4" slope is the MINIMUM, it can be more.

Just lay down your bedding very level, take your time on this as bellies in drain lines with cause you years of heartache ahead. Sand, small gravel are both good choices for bedding and backfill.

Good luck with your project and remember tha trenching part chfite stated. 2 people die every day from trench collapses, try very, very hard not to be one of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: